Notable Recent Sightings
| 20/04 | Whimbrel | 1, Dolydd Hafren |
| 12/04 | Black-necked Grebe | 1, in breeding plumage, Llyn Coed-y-Dinas |
| 10/01 | White Stork | 1, photo'd near Llansantffraid, present up to 28 Feb |
| 01/10 | Glossy Ibis | 1, photo'd by Osprey camera at Cors Dyfi |
| 17/09 | Grey Phalarope | 1 juv, Red Ridge Centre, Cefn Coch, photo'd |
| 29/05 | Pink-footed Goose | 1, over Welshpool, photo'd on 09/06 |
| 01/05 | Red-throated Diver | 1, Llyn Clywedog |
| 07/02 | Whooper Swan | 44, Lake Vyrnwy |
| 31/01 | Whooper Swan | 51, Haimwood, Llandrinio |
See Sightings Archive for older records |
Saturday, September 08, 2012
Glaslyn and Bugeilyn
Glorious weather for a walk at Glaslyn lead by Clive Faulkener with much to learn about this oligotrophic lake. One Redshank on the shore, with the usual Meadow Pipits, Wheatears, Whinchat, and still large numbers of swallows about. Brief view of a ringtail Hen Harrier was I thought going to be the highlight near Bugeilyn, but the next Harrier I saw was quite unexpected at 400 metres above sea level. I take this bird to be an adult female Marsh Harrier, which stayed distant but worked her way upwind and hunted successfully 4-5 times at the top end of Bugeilyn. Obviously only record shots, with heather in the background, but a rather interesting record.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Apols didn't do anything other than skim this before I left this morning Chris - Marsh Harrier is great news. Whether it's then same bird or not who knows but reports on the various blogs around the patch so hopefully it'll set up camp somewhere!
ReplyDeleteThat's a juvenile Chris - possibly a female. Now I wonder where she is from..
ReplyDelete